Getting the Android Emulator to Work on the Macbook Pro Retina Display
Recently I posted about my thoughts on the first impression left by the Android SDK using Eclipse and the ADT Plugin for Eclipse (this is the “traditional route” of Android developers). My first impression was less than stellar.
So I wondered if the inherent crappiness in this was due to Windows or just that overall patchwork, cobbled together Rube Goldberg feeling you get when working with certain open source projects above a certain size. So, I pulled out the Macbook Pro (a 2012 retina display model, the retina display will play a key factor in my impression) and went through the process of installing the SDK.
The Android SDK installs just fine on OS X Mountain Lion and Eclipse “Juno” installed just fine as well. I had trouble with the SSL URL for the developer tools that many books and Google themselves give you, and even had trouble just removing the S from HTTP in the URL, having to decipher what the plugin URL was for the non-SSL download. Really, they could make that process a crapload easier. Again, I had this problem both on Windows and Mac, so the suck was cross-platform.
After finally getting all of the various pieces of the puzzle installed on the Mac, I went through the process of creating an Android Virtual Device (AVD). I started the emulator and noticed that it showed up in a big window but was only drawing on a small portion of it. It didn’t seem to respond to mouse-clicks.
I wasted hours of my life “troubleshooting” this issue, checking everything from memory issues to bad APIs to re-installing the SDK. After a while of swearing and pounding the forehead against the desk, I noticed that it actually did respond to mouse-clicks, but in empty areas of the window. A button that was in the bottom of the drawn portion would respond in the bottom of the larger, empty window. A-HA!
I then thought:
I’ll bet the retina display’s annoying scaling crap is actually confusing the emulator.
Turns out I was right. The emulator is using a deprecated, absurdly old piece of code that is unaware of situations when the pixels being drawn are not in the same place as the pixels being displayed. I could either wait for Google to fix this (really Google, this is inexcusable in a non-beta, shipping product. Open source or no, this is bull****) or I could settle for a temporary workaround.
That temporary workaround is a tool I found called SetResX. This tool allows you to set real resolution not the annoying “best for retina” and “not so best for retina” user-friendly options you get with the Mountain Lion and Lion settings dialogs. All you need to do is pick any resolution big enough to support a 1:1 pixel-faithful resolution of your emulated screen (e.g. I picked 1680×1050 to support my emulated tablet’s 1080p HD resolution) and you can then run the emulator without the bizarre side-effects.
So, what this highlights in my experience are two things, in order of suckiness:
- Shame on Google for releasing non-beta, shipping tools that use deprecated, out-of-date API calls that are incompatible with any Mac retina display.
- Shame on Apple for their Macbook Pro Retina display. They release it and without an external tool like SetResX, you can’t actually access all of the pixels the monitor is capable of, you just get scaled and obscured versions. This is a little disappointing, really. It’s my damn computer, don’t pretend to know what’s best for me and hide all of the possible resolutions the card/monitor is capable of from me. Apple used to typically allow developers to get around such “we know what’s best for you” assumptions with standard Unix command-line tools, but there is no such stock tool in this case.
So, if you have a Retina Display Macbook Pro and you want to do some Android development off-device, you’re going to need a tool that futzes with your resolution, or, you can actually hook your laptop up to a non-retina monitor and slide the emulator window onto that monitor and you no longer have an issue (because the non-retina monitor has a 1:1 pixel faithful copy).
In my quest for things that follow the kotan (elegant simplicity) philosophy, my experience with the Android toolset is that it eschews both elegance and simplicity.